Saturday, November 7, 2015

Thank you, Grandma Gibson.

Every Sunday we drive past Grandma Gibson's house on the way home from church.  You can't miss it, really. It looks like a used car lot with so many vehicles parked up in the lawn.  You just know that all the aunts, uncles and cousins are in there, enjoying some tasty kind of dinner. They're probably playing cards, or telling stories, cheering for their favorite football team, or just enjoying each other's company.  I don't know that I've ever met "Grandma Gibson" in person, but she has given me and our entire community a beautiful gift. She gave us her family, but first, she filled them with her love.

 
It seems like everyone is either related to Grandma Gibson or knows the myriad of wonderful people who are. Her family is made of Gibsons and Eyres and Bordens who keep the community looking nice, take care of sick people, and are easily recognizable by that classic Gibson smile. They drive buses and keep kids safe and the school looking good.  They are just genuinely nice people.  I believe she must have made them that way. This is the way she looked at them.  You can feel the love.


Grandma Gibson was surely the glue that held the family together, and with her passing, I'm afraid I might have to take a different route home.  It makes me sad to think the cars might not be there.  I hope they choose to still get together.  I hope they keep her so close to their hearts that they look for her smile and her love in each other. I hope they find that little spark of her in each other, and honor her by continuing to show her love and spunk to the one who never met her.  I know they will continue to be the loving people she has encouraged them to be.  They are truly a gift.  

Thank you, Grandma Gibson, for being the sweet little lady they all came to see. Thank you for reminding us of the importance of Sunday dinners... and Family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment